Friday, September 19, 2008

Dum Spiro, Spero





Breathing is an involuntary function. We don’t dwell on it, seldom acknowledge it, and rarely ponder it. Something so detrimental we subconsciously discredit until it is compromised.


Breathe in.

:
:
:

Breathe out.

It is truly amazing to me how our God created our bodies to essentially take care of themselves. Of course Christ gives us breath (a constant gift, given His will). He crafted our bodies to do crucial, life-sustaining things (to say the least); things that work in unison, so seamlessly, to allow us life…and our bodies dance to this melodic blend that hums a tune of our Father’s benevolent grace.

Breathe in.

:
:
:

H o l d i t.

The absence of air disturbs this harmony. It is in this void, a tiny hiccup in time, we consciously highlight its necessity.

Breathe out.

My husband, Mitch, has unfortunately had some hiccups in his battle with leukemia (these hiccups aren’t pertaining to the ceasing of breath, but glitches in treatment). One of these snafus are his lungs.

Now I am one lucky bride and I can say I know my husband “inside and out…” literally. I had the astute pleasure to sit in on one of his bronchoscopies! Now, I can say that I am not a squeamish person, but when it comes to my Mitch this stoic quality flies out the window!

From this experience I got to see the miracle that is my husband on a whole new plane. I am a proud wife of a man totting a ravishing set of lungs!

…Unfortunately looks can be deceiving…

He has been quarreling with a rotten antagonist named pneumonia. This arch nemesis has plagued him for months, and has been the culprit for Mitch’s “hiccups in treatment.”

As of late he has had more labored effort in grasping the air that we seem to acquire so easily. But he, being the strong, determined, godly man that he is “resigns in hope,” leaning heavily onto the brilliant Creator of the air that we graciously borrow. Pressing forward, Mitch continues to astound doctors with his resilience. (Please continue to pray with us for a miracle! We are forever thankful beyond words!)

Dum spiro, spero,,,While I breathe, I hope…

There are so many captivating, inspiring, and exquisite attributes that I love and admire about my handsome groom, but the most arresting is his faith. His faith (that is anchored in hope at seas of turmoil) voyages elegantly through life, sailcloth billowing with the breath of hope… all the while the Lord at the helm.

Through trial and tribulation Mitch astounds me. His constant compassion perseveres with no prejudice of his own circumstance or familiarity to the blessed person that encounters it. His selfless regard always prompts him to pray for others before himself. And his tender concern for the kingdom is perpetually transcendent of his own condition. With every breath he praises the Lord. And “while (he) breathe(s), (he) hopes.”

Now, while looking at this Latin phrase (Dum spiro, spero), I can’t help but think that the quaint word “spero” resembles the English word sparrow. How beautiful is the fluttering sparrow that seems so carefree and lackadaisical as it perfects its purpose…to soar…defy gravity…live in the heights of hope.

This reminds me:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.
- Emily Dickinson


Perching so perfectly, clothed in beauty, the bird “resignes in hope” and ascends. Our Abba Father tells us to “look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet (I) feed them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” (Matthew 6:26).

I hope we would respond with a resounding, “YES!”

4 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for your words of hope. they are beautiful. we love you!

Anonymous said...

you are one amazing person and I very much admire your faith!

Unknown said...

I don't think you could have ever written better words! You are such an amazing woman of faith and we can could only hope to have the faith and hope that you and Mitch have! What a grat inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You are in inspiration Chelsea. You are doing great things in life and will continue to do more and more as you progress through it all. Blessings and well wishes. Keep your head up. You are strong.